Monday, August 10, 2009

“Strike It While the Iron is Hot”

The Times has been running a Yesteryear feature for the past three weeks dealing with Catgut Canyon. And this week’s Yesteryear is also on Catgut Canyon, so that is four weeks in a row about this mystical place in Marianna. In the 1 ½ years we’ve been doing our Yesteryear features, none have stretched into a four week run. And while some of our readers may have wished we’d moved on from the canyon by now, there have been a lot of readers that have expressed their enjoyment in recalling this former childhood playground.
So many folks, in fact, have called, e-mailed or talked to me that I felt we should run another story again this week. Clearly these articles have brought back a lot of fond memories. And I am proud that our paper could be a part in so many trips down memory lane.
It’s not a great secret that my job as Sports Editor at The Times is just one of three jobs that I hold down. I have a full time job, two part time jobs and a family. And to be honest there are days and times when all the work begins to pile up and I wonder if I can continue to juggle three jobs and a family.
But along comes a story like Catgut Canyon. Even though I have basically lived in Marianna most of my life, I had never even heard of this place until a month ago. But Al Padgett called with the idea and the rest as they say is history. So even though juggling this job at The Times can be tough, when I can be a part of something that brings so much enjoyment to our community, it reminds me why I do this job. Sure the extra money helps, but the main reason that I’ve continued to persevere is that it allows me the privilege and chance to bring enjoyment to the community in which I was born, raised and now live and raise my family. Thanks you to all those folks that have expressed their enjoyment to me.
If you’ve watched football you know that sometimes the offense runs an off tackle play for big yardage. So the offense runs the play again, then again and yet again, figuring we’ll run the play until the defense stops us. Well Catgut Canyon is kind of like that. Folks have been enjoying it so much that I just figured we’d keep running it until the readers stop us.
So this may be the last week or it may not. You, the readers, will decide. If anyone else has anymore Catgut Canyon stories, let me know. Simply Put, we’ll strike it while the iron (Catgut Canyon) is hot.

From the front porch: Uncle Bob said the man who complains about the way the ball bounces is probably the one who dropped it.

No comments: