Thursday, December 10, 2009

“Advice For Retirement”

Dear Clint: I didn’t think Dear Abby would understand so I am hoping as a sports man you can help me out. After 34 years of pouring my heart and soul into my job, my supervisors basically offered me an early retirement plan. I was hoping to hang on for another year and feel like after all I’ve done in my job (coaching 34 years at one college) that I deserved to retire on my own terms, not on someone else’s terms. Fortunately I have my faith and my family to rely on, but I must confess I am struggling with how this all ended. Got any advice? Signed “Put Out To Pasture Too Early” in Tallahassee

Dear “Put Out to Pasture Too Early in Tallahassee” - Rest assured that you are not the first person, nor will you be the last person, to be nudged out the door before you feel you are ready. There are many other long time employees, in a variety of professions, who feel like they were shown the door while they were still capable of contributing. You mentioned your faith so here is my advice (gathered from the good book.

Do not be bitter or filled with resentment (Ephesians 4:31). Too often folks who feel they’ve been nudged out the door too early, or at least in their opinion too early, become bitter. They are resentful towards their former employer, who they perceive having wronged them. They spend their remaining years complaining to everyone they encounter about how they were done wrong. So rise above the temptation to sling mud at others. Remember that bitterness and true faith can not dwell in the same house.

Be thankful (1st Chronicles 16:34). You’ve had a long and successful career so don’t sit around having a poor pitiful me party. Not many coaches can say they coached at one place for 34 years, climbed the mountains you climbed, had the relationships that you had and the impact you had on thousands of folks.

Be humble and gracious (Matthew 23:12). There is nothing more appealing than humbleness and nothing more appalling than arrogance.

Be active and serve (Psalms 100:2). You’ve been quoted as saying there is only one big event after retirement (death) and you’re not looking forward to that. Don’t sit around waiting to die. Remember that we never retire from our faith. Use your God given gifts to do things you enjoy while at the same time serving God and others.

Remember your purpose in life (Isaiah 43:7). Our faith teaches us that God created us for his glory. There is no glory in bitterness or feeling sorry for yourself. But by being thankful, humble, gracious and serving God you will fulfill your purpose in life and Simply Put, what more could a man want.



From the front porch: Uncle Bob took the Florida State loss to Florida like a man, he blamed it on his wife.

No comments: