Thursday, February 4, 2010

“Perseverance”

170. That’s the number of Simply Put columns I have written in 3 ½ years as the Sports Editor at The Times. Last week doesn’t count as part of the 170. If you saw my column last week you know that I chose not to say anything. It had been one of those weeks.

Several folks asked me about my week. I won’t bore you with all the calamities, but the top three highlights (or low lights) were (1) finding out the engine on my wife’s vehicle needs to be replaced, (2) our electric panel blew out last Sunday night leaving us with no heat in 25 degree weather (3) one of our dogs (Chance) got arrested, thrown in jail and I had to bailed him out. Throw in a crazy week at work (see page A7) and you know the saying, when it rains it pours. It was what I call a “mountain slide” week, which are those times when I want to grab my tent and head for the hills to escape from life’s trials and tribulations.

But our Heavenly Father always has a way of pointing the way, sometimes in the unlikeliest of places. This past Saturday I was at Pace High School for my son’s wrestling matches. In the lobby of the gym there is a display on the wall. It features great documents of our nation like the Constitution, Bill of Rights and Gettysburg Address. It also features the Ten Commandments, which pleasantly surprised me to see it include in this day and time.

But the document that caught my eye the most read as follows:

• He Failed in business in ‘31

• He was Defeated in the state legislature in ‘33

• He tried another business venture in ’33, it Failed.

• His fiancée Died in ’35.

• He had a nervous Breakdown in ’36.

• He ran for Congress in ’43 and was Defeated.

• He ran again in ’46 and was Defeated again.

• He tried running for the U.S. Senate in ’55 and Lost.

• He ran for Vice President in ’56 and Lost.

• He ran for the U.S. Senate again in ’59 and was Defeated.

• He ran for President in ’60 and Won.

• The man who signed his name A. Lincoln became the 16th President of the United States.

The difference between history’s boldest accomplishments and staggering failures is often simply. The diligent will to Persevere.

While my Southern ancestors would roll over in their graves to hear me say this, the numerous books that I have read about Lincoln would lead me to conclude that he is the greatest President this county has even known. His life serves to remind all of us that when we have those rough days, weeks, months or years, quitting is not an option. Simply Put, we must Persevere.



From the front porch: Uncle Bob said that if everybody thinks it’s a good plan, it probably won’t work.

No comments: