Friday, June 18, 2010

“The Sea King Is Back”

In June of 1978 a major miracle occurred. Somehow, someway my 18 year journey through Jackson County’s school system culminated with my graduation from high school. My parents were so elated, or surprised, they asked what’d I like for a graduation present. I knew better than to ask for a new car, so instead I requested a boat.

My wish was granted when for $375 dollars my dad bought a used 14 foot aluminum Jon boat, complete with a trailer and 9 horse motor. The boat was made by Montgomery Ward and was called a Sea King. The motor was a 10 year old Wizard (Western Auto) and would shear a pin quicker if you sneezed wrong.

The ole Sea King wasn’t the fanciest boat around but it was mine and I was the Captain of the ship. Six years later I sold a motorcycle and bought a brand new 15 horse Evinrude motor. The ole Sea King still wasn’t fancy, but I had a ton of fun on that boat. Some of my fondest memories from that time in my life are associated with the ole Sea King.

A few years back though the ole Sea King started having some problems. The trailer needed a lot of work and the motor quit running. I neglected her and didn’t get her fixed. She sat patiently waiting for some attention. Well this past spring my oldest son Taylor requested and was granted permission to restore the Sea King to her original glory.

Time had not been on her side. In fact while it seemed like it she had only been out of commission a few years, a closer inspection revealed that the last boat sticker I bought was in 1995. And that closer inspection revealed extensive work that needed to be done on the boat, trailer and motor. I knew I didn’t have the time, skill nor willpower to get the job done. And I wasn’t sure if my son had what it took to get the job done either.

I must proudly say that not only did he have what it took to get the job done, the ole Sea King looks better than she ever did before. He completely refurbished the trailer, built new carpeted floor boards and mounted new seats for the boat. His proclamation that he was going to give the Sea King a camouflage paint scheme had me worried. But he did a great job and it has a matching camouflage gas can.

The boat motor, which wasn’t running 15 years ago, had become a Mecca for dirt dobbers. The mechanic said it was the worst he’d ever seen. It took him a while but he got that Evinrude running like a clock again. So if you are out and about and see a tan camouflage boat on the water, it just might be me or my son because thanks to him, Simply Put, the Ole Sea King is back in business.
From the Front Porch: Uncle Bob said honesty pays, but apparently not enough for some people.

No comments: