Friday, August 13, 2010

“Reading Simply Put”

From time to time folks stop me and talk about this column. I’ve been writing a weekly column now for almost four years and I guess I’m still a little amazed that folks like to read what I write. Most of the comments that I get are favorable and a few folks have even told me I should have gone into journalism for a living.

As flattering as that is, I can’t help but wonder what Ms. Musgrove, Ms. Gibson or Mr. Almond would say about me writing a column and sports each week for the newspaper. The ladies were my 8th and 9th grade English teachers and I am positive that I would have been their #1 choice for “least likely to succeed in the field of journalism.” I suspect that Mr. Almond, who tried to teach me English at Chipola, would be completely baffled at the prospect of my writing anything for the newspaper.

Halfway through the semester Mr. Almond offered me some advice. After exhausting his supply of red pens grading my papers, he told me I had two choices. Option #1, drop the class and retake it next semester. Option #2, stay in the class and maybe learn enough to help me pass the class when I retook it next semester. Realizing my chance of passing his class was worst than a snowball’s chance south of the border, I went with option one. I suspect that choice was much to Mr. Almond’s relief.

I am also somewhat amazed when folks talk to me about when and where they read my column. One lady told me that she gets her paper by mail on Friday. She spends her Friday evenings relaxing while reading the paper and my column. Lots of folks tell me that they read the paper and my column in the mornings while relaxing with a cup of coffee.

One fellow told me that he reads my column while in the “library” seated on his “throne.” I wasn’t quite sure how to take that comment. Was it meant as a compliment that he reads my column while using the bathroom, or does he equate what I have to say with what he is doing?

Here’s what I do know. I still find it amazing that I can figure out something to write about each week, and for the most part that something is apparently enjoyable to our readers. Here’s the other thing that I know. As you are reading this week’s column I am in one of my favorite places in the world, the mountains of North Carolina. And as I enjoy a little down time, I am reminded of what an honor it is that you allow me to come into your homes, and I guess even your bathrooms, on a weekly basis. So, Simply Put, thanks for reading Simply Put. If you’ll keep on reading, I’ll keep on writing.



From the Front Porch: Coach said every path has a few puddles.

No comments: