Thursday, September 23, 2010

“The Best”

I don’t do a lot of endorsements. Some folks who live out their lives in the public eye will slap their name or picture on anything that moves, crawls or can be eaten. Some, like fellow Times columnist Homer Hirt, use a more subliminal approach to endorsement. I’ve just never been much into endorsements. And I am sure that has nothing to do with the fact that I’ve never had anybody approach me to endorse their product.

But I am stepping out this week into the endorsement world, even though the folks that make this product have not asked me for endorsement. Nor do I suspect that they need my endorsement as they seemed to have done just fine for the past 83 years without it.

I’ve said before that there aren’t many things I miss about living in Tallahassee where I lived for 8 years. But there are three things that I do miss: my tennis league, good Buffalo Wings and Bradley’s Smoked Sausage.

Twelve miles east of Tallahassee on Centerville Road one can take a trip into the past. Bradley’s Country Store has been serving customers since 1927. The store today looks much like it did in 1927. Wooden porch, wooden rocking chairs, screen front door, hard wood floors with shelves stocked with some of the necessities of living. But what draws customers to Bradley’s is in the back of the store. That is where they sell their smoked sausage.

Their smoked sausage is made right there at the store, using the same recipe that Grandma Bradley started using back in 1927. They have the same varieties as Grandma Bradley had back then. The top sellers are regular and spicy smoked sausage, followed by fresh made baby link and ground sausage.

This past Saturday I was in Tallahassee for a Cross Country race and had a little free time after the race. A quick call to my mom and a road trip to Bradley’s was in order. It has been years since I made the lovely drive out Centerville Road and much to my pleasure, nothing has changed. Same oak tree canopy drive, same store front, same store on the inside and best of all the sausage still taste the same. We got a couple of sausage dogs to go and they were delicious.

The only thing that has changed about Bradley’s Smoked Sausage over the years is the price. It’s not cheap, but it is certainly worth every penny. They had plenty of business on Saturday, so other folks must not mind paying for good sausage either.

So if you want some mighty fine sausage, make you a road trip to Bradley’s Country Store. For me, Simply Put, it’s “The Best” I’ve ever eatin’. Want to know more about Bradley’s Country Store? Check them out on the internet at www.bradleyscountrystore.com

From the Front Porch: Uncle Bob said the average person thinks that he is better than the average person.

No comments: