Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Simply Put-"My Bride, 2 Boys and a Jack?"

10/30/08
By Clint Cox

Last week the kids had their fall break from school. This has become the time of the year when I make sure to load up and head to the woods for a camping trip. October is one of my favorite months of the year for camping. The days are warm, but not too hot. The nights are cool, but not too cold. And of course there are the oysters that are now "in season." Note that in my book, camping means sleeping in tents. I hate to break it to you folks, but staying in a cabin or RV is not camping.
This year’s fall break camping trip took on a couple of new twists. My darling bride decided she would join us for this camping adventure. Every few years or so she tries her hand at camping, thinking somehow it will magically be better than the last time.
My two oldest sons have grown out of the camping stage, or at least camping with mom and dad. The only thing that interest them about our camping trip is how long we are going to be gone and what time we are coming home. So that meant my youngest son, age 13, gets to invite a buddy. And this year he actually talked me into inviting two buddies, a friend from school and our Yellow Lab named Jack.
So off we went, my bride, 2 boys, Jack and me. We headed to the woods down on the Chipola River, south of Marianna. The weather was perfect. The Carolina Blue Sky didn’t sprout a single cloud for two days. The day was warm enough that a dip in the ole Chipola was in order to wash off a little sweat from setting up camp. The night was cool enough to have a toasty fire to warm us up. And of course there were the oysters. Raw oysters were enjoyed on the banks of the Chipola River and in the shadow of a camp fire. I call that the culinary equivalent of heaven on earth.
By morning though, after a night in a sleeping bag and tent, my darling bride had enjoyed enough of the great outdoor life and headed home. The boys and I, along with Jack as our canine guide, canoed up the Chipola for a little river travel and spelunking. We explored several caves along the way and spent the day soaking up the October sunshine and that Carolina Blue Skyline.
This is the third year in a row that I’ve written about our October camping excursions. I’ve used this term before but, Simply Put, it just doesn’t get any better than spending a few days camping with the family (which now includes the dog) on the Chipola River during the month of October. And of course with a sack full of oysters. I am truly blessed.
From the front porch: Coach said that he’s noticed the turtle only makes any progress when it sticks out its neck.

No comments: