Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Simply Put- "Suspend or Terminate"

10/24/08
By Clint Cox

A local middle school teacher/coach had a hearing with the school board last week to determine if he should be suspended or terminated for writing the "N" word on the board of his classroom. Apparently he was demonstrating what the acronym "CHANGE" stood for and did this several times during the day. The Superintendent of Schools recommended suspension and the school board voted 3-2 not to oppose that recommendation.
You know they say "opinions are like rear ends…everybody has got one." I have an opinion on the matter. Simply Put, I feel that the teacher/ coach should have been terminated. I realize that there are many folks that I know and respect that will have a very different opinion. They feel the suspension was adequate or may even feel suspension is too strong of an action.
I’ve written often about my views on the role of teachers and coaches in dealing with our young people. I’ll defend the ones that do it the right way loud and proud. But I’m just as quick to voice my displeasure with those who, in my opinion, dishonor this most honorable profession. This teacher/coach’s use of this very inappropriate word was not part of a conversation with other adults that might have been accidently overheard. It was used in the presence of the very children he had been entrusted to teach and was used more than once during the day.
For the life of me, I can’t figure out why a teacher/coach would use that inappropriate word in his classroom in front of his students. It is more than just an error in judgment. To me it demonstrates a total lack of understanding and comprehension of how offensive this word is to African Americans.
And for the record I don’t condone when black folks use this word when talking to each other. But if one of my buddies calls me a redneck, I don’t mind. But if someone from up north or a big city calls me a redneck, I take offense.
As I said earlier though the Superintendent recommended suspension and the school board chose not to oppose that recommendation. That did not surprise me one bit. This is the same Superintendent that has recommended the hiring of teachers / coaches in the past few years with significant prior criminal arrest records (wrestling coach at Marianna/ teacher at Sneads). And guess what, both turned out to be "bad apples" so to speak. Surprise Surprise.
Simply Put, CHANGE is coming. The current Superintendent is now the "outgoing Superintendent." Let’s hope the new Superintendent establishes a better track record when it comes to dealing with "bad apples."
From the front porch: Uncle Bob gave his son-in-law some golfing advice. Lay off for few weeks and then quit for good.

No comments: