Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Simply Put- Bellamy Bridge

6/26/08
By: Clint Cox

This week’s Rollin’ Down The River (on this page) features the portion of the Chipola River that includes Bellamy Bridge. As I paddled down to Bellamy Bridge this past week I was flooded with memories of days gone by at the bridge and of course "The Ghost of Bellamy Bridge." I don’t recall when I first heard about the ghost or the first time that I went to the bridge. But I do recall hearing about the ghost early and often as a child growing up in Jackson County. As a teenager I can recall some fun times had at Bellamy Bridge and its little park area. I recall swimming, camping, fishing and just hanging out at the bridge. I can remember a few of the braver fellows, or dumber depending on your perspective, scaling the iron structure that is the remnants of Bellamy Bridge. I can even remember one evening when a fog or mist rolled in across the river. For a moment we all wondered, is this the Ghost? Of course it wasn’t, but it made for a great opportunity to scare some of the girls in our group.
As the years went by we continued to hear and tell of the legend of "The Ghost of Bellamy Bridge." Looking back I realize that there were many different versions of the legend. And while I never really believed there really was a ghost, I did think the story surrounding the last days of Elizabeth Jane Bellamy were true. I had heard the story so much that I just assumed it was factual that her wedding dress caught fire (several different ways depending on which version you heard) and she died from the wounds associated with that burning dress.
Local historian Dale Cox had heard the story too. He thoroughly researched the legend and lo and behold, found out not only is there no ghost, but Elizabeth didn’t die from a burning dress. She, and her young child, died of fever associated with what was most likely malaria. You can read all about the legend, the myths and the facts, at www.exploresouthernhistory.com/bellamybridge.
I love history and I certainly want to know the facts. So my hat’s off to Dale for a thorough job of research and writing. But I must confess that as a youngster that grew up hearing about the ghost and the story surrounding it, I was disheartened to hear that the facts of the story don’t support the legend.
Bellamy Bridge and the boat launch area next to it are now all on privately owned land. It is s no longer accessible to the public and has become overgrown.
Simply Put, that is unfortunate. It is a beautiful area, rich in local folklore and the home to many fond memories.

From the front porch: Uncle Bob noted that when it is all said and done, there is usually a lot more said than done.

No comments: