Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Simply Put- "Just An Observation about Race in Sports"

7/24/08

Speaking about and writing about the matter of race in our day and time is always a sensitive endeavor. And while I would advocate that we’ve made many great strides with racial problems throughout our culture, I would be the first to admit that there are still many areas in which the matter of race is still an issue. This past weekend I made an observation that cemented observations that I have been making for several years now.
This past weekend I covered the AAU 2008 Summer Shoot Out, a basketball tournament held at Marianna Middle School and Chipola. I also covered the Dixie Youth State Baseball tournament at the MERE Complex. Let me say that both events were very well organized and gave our youth some excellent opportunities for competition and sportsmanship.
But I noted that these two events affirmed a growing trend that I, and others, have noticed over the last few years. As hard as our culture has tried to stamp out racial inequities and segregation, two very prominent sports have in effect become segregated. The sport of basketball has become predominately comprised of African Americans and the sport of baseball has become comprised predominately of white Americans and Hispanic Americans.
While this appears to be the case at every level of the game throughout our nation, it is especially evident in the youth and high school leagues. I would estimate that African Americans comprised about 98% of the players and spectators at the AAU 2008 Summer Shootout. I would estimate that white Americans comprised about 90% of the Dixie Youth State Tournament players and spectators. Hispanics probably accounted for about 8% and African Americans accounted for about 2%.
If you think these events were just a fluke, take in any high school basketball or baseball games in your community. I think the numbers, with a few exceptions, will be fairly consistent. I base these observations on the fact that in the past two years I have probably been to as many high school basketball and baseball games as anyone in the county.
I, and others, have different theories as to why there are so few African Americans playing baseball and why there are so few white Americans playing basketball. Maybe I’ll share some of those theories next week. And I don’t think Jackson County is unique in this area, because I see similar numbers when I travel to other parts of the state and region. And I know, or at least think, that it shouldn’t be that way. Simply Put, there are too many young African Americans that are missing out on the great game of baseball and there are too many young white Americans missing out on the great game of basketball.

From the front porch: Coach said the cost of losing your integrity is greater than whatever it cost you to keep it.

No comments: