Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"We Never Know"

On page B2 there is a story about some folks that have organized a semi-pro baseball league and are calling it the Big Bend Baseball League of North Florida. I had a note in my box here at the newspaper one day from one of the fellows that has been instrumental in organizing this league. Attached to the note was a flyer about this new league and the fellow was asking me to run the announcement (which we’ve run for the last two weeks).

The note on the flyer was from Harold Bailey and was addressed to me. He started the note by saying "Clint, I don’t know if you remember me but I would really appreciate you running this information about our league in the Jackson County Times." He went on to make a few comments about the league and then thanked me for any assistance I could give to the league.

How could I forget Harold Bailey. As a young man at the age of 20 I had taken a night course at Chipola called "Introduction to Corrections." Like many a young man at Chipola I had selected a major (Criminal Justice) but I really had no idea exactly what I would do with that major. But the class "Introduction to Corrections" was a required course and Harold Bailey was the instructor. At the time he was an Assistant Superintendent (now called Assistant Warden) at Apalachee Correctional Institution (ACI).

I recall on our breaks talking about sports and a variety of other subjects. One night he asked me what I planned to do with my degree. To which I replied "I don’t know." I’m sure he was impressed with my career development plans. He suggested getting a job as a correctional officer and then working my way into other jobs in the prison system that required degrees.

To make a long story short, that is exactly what I did. I got a job as a correctional officer at ACI and spent the next 18 years working for the Department of Corrections in a variety of different jobs. Then I went to work at Sunland and have spent the last 8 years in programs for developmentally delayed individuals with criminal arrest histories.

Nearly 28 years later Harold wondered if I remembered him. I certainly do remember him. I’m sure he taught hundreds of students over the years and probably gave many of them some good advice as well. I hope he and the others are successful in getting this semi-pro league off the ground. I’ll do my part to cover it and keep it in the news.

My main point though is, thank this is another reminder that we never know the impact we can have on the young people surrounding us. Simply Put, we need to be mindful of that and live our life accordingly. Thanks Harold and good luck.

From the front porch: Coach said if you want to stand out, don’t be different – be outstanding.

No comments: