Friday, February 6, 2009

"Old-timers vs Modern Teams "

By Clint Cox

As I chatted with J.W. Jordan and V.H. Wilson in Malone last Friday night (See In The Spot Light on page B2), I was asking them a series of questions about days gone by. When we were almost through I asked if the Malone championship teams of the 50’s and 60’s could have beat the Malone Championship teams of the 70s, 80, 90s. I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of what if the great teams of yesteryear could take on the great teams modern era.

Often the old timers I’m talking with bow up their chest a little and say they think the old teams could beat the young whipper snappers. But Mr. Jordan and Mr. Wilson didn’t hesitate in their responses to my question. "No. The great teams from the old days (1960s and earlier) couldn’t beat the great teams from the modern era (1970 and later). The players of today are much taller, faster, stronger and quicker. Those older teams just wouldn’t be able to keep up with the modern teams."

They commented about those early teams being much shorter. If you had a 6 footer you had somebody tall." When I asked about if dunking was allowed they almost chuckled. "Lord no, we didn’t have anybody that could have dunk the ball anyway." These two men have probably watched more high school basketball than any two men alive. So I certainly respect their opinions and they are probably right about the old-timers matching up with the modern teams.

But I’ve watched a fair amount of games myself and have heard all the stories from my day about the glory days of Jackson County Basketball (1950s and 60s). I will concede the point that today’s players are taller, faster, stronger and quicker. But many of the modern era teams lack the discipline and fundamentals of the game. When I do see teams nowadays that are solid in the discipline and fundamentals of the game they instantly stand out. And incidentally those are the teams that seem to be more successful.

I know I’m sounding like an old foggie but things like palming the ball have become an accepted part of the game today (at all levels). And some team’s idea of defense is just to outscore their opponent.

Don’t get me wrong. There are some sound fundamental teams out there, but there are plenty that aren’t. And for those that aren’t, I think those teams from days gone by could put a whopping on the youngsters.

I know all this is just reminiscing about what might would be and it obviously can not take place. But wouldn’t it be fun if we could suit up those old teams and let’em take the floor against today’s teams.

Well, after thinking about that for a moment, maybe not. What if my theory is wrong? Simply Put, maybe it’s better just to keep reminiscing and dreaming of what might would be.

From the front porch: Uncle Bob said time that you enjoy wasting is not wasting time.

No comments: