Thursday, April 29, 2010

“Ole Dogs”

I was honored last week to be invited to a gathering of a bunch of Ole Bulldogs. (See page three of sports for photos). This is a yearly gathering that takes place at McMullian Farms in Dellwood. Andy and Amos McMullian, a couple of Ole Dogs, are gracious to open up this homestead to what amounts to a reunion for former Marianna High School students and athletes that graduated in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. I’m an Ole Bulldog myself, just not quite that old of an Ole Bulldog. But I, along with my wife and mother, get an invite because my dad was one of this gang’s favorite coaches. So while he can’t be there, we do our best to fill in for him. And I suspect that The Times feature “Yesteryear” keeps me in pretty good standing with most of these folks. This was my second time attending and I don’t mind saying that I thoroughly enjoy these gathering of Ole Bulldogs. And of course some mighty fine fried fish, hushpuppies and cheese grits don’t hurt my feelings either. With my work in the newspaper and on the radio I have been somewhat a student and collector of information about the history of Bulldog athletics. I have a copy of every football section of the Marianna yearbook dating back to the 1940s. Except for a couple of years in the 1930s, I have a notebook that has team records, players, coaches etc on every football team in Bulldog football history. And I grew up hearing the stories from the likes of my dad, Harry Howell and Mack Rooks about all the great athletes that came along in the 40s, 50s and 60s. So to be able to mingle with these folks is not just fun, it is a privilege and an honor. For example, I have heard and read many stories about a standout football and basketball player from the early 50s by the name of named Jackie Finlayson. Mack Rooks, Frank Rooks, Jack Brown and others have sung his praises over the years. But I had never met him. I looked up the other night and there he was, sitting at a table talking to Ms. Elrod. I introduced myself and took his picture. I suspect he had no idea how much I enjoyed finally meeting him. To do what I enjoy doing, i.e. the newspaper and radio, and to hear some of the stories from these Ole Bulldogs is invaluable to me. Not just from an enjoyment standpoint, but also from the standpoint of learning as much as I can about the history of Bulldog athletics. I could sit and listen to their stories about games won and games lost all night long. I hope we keep getting an invite to this yearly gathering. Simply Put, it’s hard to beat good fried fish and even better some of that good Ole Bulldog fellowship.
From the Front Porch: Coach said it don’t take a very big person to carry a grudge.

No comments: