Thursday, April 8, 2010

Power to The Paddle

I’ve had several folks comment on my column last week regarding the issue of not allowing motorized boats to put in on the Chipola River in the new Greenway parks. As you may recall I support the city and county’s efforts to make the launches in these greenway parks designed for non-motorized vessels like canoes and kayaks. Some folks whole heartedly agreed with me and some thought that I surely must have hit myself in the head with one of my paddles.

Most of the folks that prefer gas powered boats can whip out the reasons they prefer a motorized boat over a canoe/kayak quicker than they fire up their Evinrude. That got me to thinking about the advantages that a canoe/kayak offer over motor boats. So in the interest of countering the motor boat folks (and maybe even sway one or two toward a canoe/kayak) I thought I would list the following reasons I like a canoe/kayak over a motor boat:

 No boat trailer is required

 Easy to launch and load

 Quiet, tranquil and relaxing

 Good exercise

 See more wildlife

 Reach hard to get places

 Better for the environment

 No noise, exhaust,
gas/oil slicks

 Basically maintenance free

 Easy to store

 Cost less to buy

 Cost less to operate

 No gas/oil required

 No boat trailer tag required

 No boat registration required

 No boat motor repairs

 Won’t break down on you

These are just a few of the advantages and of course, like anything, there are some disadvantages. The required portage for vehicles and the perceived limitations on water travel are the most common cited. The most valid disadvantage I’ve heard is from a motor boat friend of mine who said it is just too hard to urinate from a canoe or kayak.

Well folks, the weather is finally getting right. So, Simply Put, do yourself and the river a favor. Leave the cover on that ole motor boat, grab a paddle along with a canoe or kayak and head to the river.



From the Front Porch: Uncle Bob said if you’re in a bad situation, Don’t worry, it’ll change. If you’re in a good situation, Don’t worry, it’ll change.

No comments: