Sunday, October 4, 2009

“Finally, A reprieve”

I don’t know about you folks, but I for one am glad to see some cooler weather arrive. The past couple of days have been a welcomed relief for the heat and humidity that seems to have gripped us for the past month. I know that we had some hot days this past summer but the humidity in the past couple of weeks has been almost unbearable.
This past weekend appeared to be the apex of humidity. At Friday night’s football game at Marianna (vs. Walton County) I saw more players cramping than I have in a long time. The heat itself wasn’t so bad but the humidity left both teams, especially the defenses, out of gas by the second half. Basically neither team’s defense could stop the other team’s offense. And to adding insult to injury, the game went into overtime (at least Marianna won).

I took in the festivities both Friday and Saturday at the Marianna Day Festival. The poor folks wearing all the uniforms and other garments from the 1860’s era had to be downright miserable. Just imagine wearing wool uniforms or petticoats and southern belle dresses on a hot muggy September afternoon. And while the overall festival appeared to go really well and had a good turnout for the first year, the heat and humidity didn’t make for a relaxing outdoor experience.

I got home Saturday night and caught the weather report and low and behold I heard those magic words. Cooler and dryer air is on the way. I began to take notice of the change as early as Sunday night and by Tuesday and Wednesday the fall weather was in full force. And I know that this won’t last, as warmer weather is already on its way back. But maybe at least we’ve seen the last of the heavy duty humidity for another year.

I was talking with Stephanie Parker’s folks on Saturday at the festival. They are down from Illinois for a visit. When I asked how they were enjoying the visit they replied that they were having a great time and were even getting used to the humidity. I chuckled when I replied that I have lived here all my life and I’ve never gotten used to the humidity. But Simply Put, we finally have gotten a reprieve. Here’s to hoping we’ve bid farewell to the humidity until next summer.

From the front porch: Coach said there is no dollar sign for peace of mind

No comments: