Sunday, October 4, 2009

“Marianna Day”

“This weekend brings the first edition of Marianna Day, a weekend of fun and festivities for the whole family. For a full run down of what will be taking place and when, see the ad on page B4.

The entire festival is centered around the Battle of Marianna, the historic event that took place during the War Between The States (or Civil War as most call it) on September 27, 1864. I learned to call the war “The War Between The States” from longtime history teacher at Marianna High School, William Grant. I know that I am not alone when I say that Mr. Grant, who is now deceased, single handly instilled in me, like he did so many students over his lengthy teaching career, a life long love of our local history. And that certainly includes the Battle of Marianna.

When the festival, along with the parades and battle re-enactments were first announced, the reaction was mixed if you read some of the blogs on the local media outlets. Some folks welcomed the idea and concept. Others didn’t. Some said it would be good for tourism, others liked the history aspect with a re-enactment on the actual battle site (first time ever). Others, like myself, were thrilled that it would all culminate with a bluegrass festival at Citizen’s Lodge Park. But there are some in our community that have not really warmed up to the festival. Based on some blogs that I have read, some folks don’t share the enthusiasm for all the festivities. I take from their blogs that they see nothing honorable about fighting and dying for the cause of slavery and they feel that festivals of this nature do just that. And the site of all those Confederate Battle Flags is a bit much for them.

My column is not long enough to articulate all my thoughts about the War Between the States. But I’ll say this about the Battle Flag. It is a part of our history and as such should be displayed in a historical context. The problem is that there have been many of my own race that have used the flag as a symbol of hatred and violence. And I think if the brave men who fought to save this town from destruction saw how some folks, like the skin heads, Neo-Nazis and the KKK have used the battle flag, they would turn over in their graves.

So the battle is part of our history and I hope folks will turn out to enjoy a couple of days of good history lessons. I suspect that the Mr. Grant would have thoroughly enjoyed it. And besides all that, the festival concludes with a bluegrass festival on Saturday. Simply Put, for me it don’t get no better than good history and good pickin’ and grinnin’. See y’all at the festival.

From the front porch: Uncle Bob said a lot of trouble in the world is caused by combining a narrow mind and a wide mouth.

No comments: