Sunday, October 4, 2009

"It Aint’ Hard To Be Humble"

In writing this column I’ve never tried to hide the fact that I am a FSU football fan. I was raised as a Seminole football fan and plan to be one until my time on earth is done. I must admit that I’ve gone through times in my life when I was more than just a fan. You might say I was a bit overzealous about Seminole football. I credit that overzealous passion to arising from the days when they weren’t very good, in fact they were downright bad, and for $5 you could sit anywhere in the stadium you wanted.
But then came Bobby Bowden and the program began moving in the right direction. The program went from a nobody to a somebody. With each passing year of progress, my zealousness for Seminole football grew. Throw in a few good rivalries with Florida and Miami and you had the makings of some intense passion for Seminole football.
Then came "Wide Right", the infamous failed field goal attempt in 1991 that cost us a win against Miami and possibly a national championship. I was at that game and must confess the loss was too much to bear. I went into a state of despair after the loss and did not come out for three days. When I finally emerged from my tailspin, it occurred to me that I might be taking this football stuff a little too seriously. So I tried to back off the throttle so to speak and not get so worked up.
During the past few seasons it has been easier not to get so worked up about Seminole football. The Seminoles just have not been the same team they used to be. Last year was better, but still not like the good ole days. Each year I’ve hoped for a return to the glory days, only to be disappointed. But by not getting my hopes up too high, it softened the fall.
So there I found myself Labor Day evening, watching another classic Miami vs FSU game. It reminded me of the old days and both teams seemed to be playing like they used to play. It went right down to the final seconds, all the while I’m telling myself to not get my hopes up to high. You know, it softens my fall if my hopes aren’t too high. I wasn’t doing real well with that though and sure enough, FSU came out on the short end of the stick. I didn’t figure to rest well so I grabbed a book, read a few minutes and drifted off to sleep. But before I went to sleep I thought, oh well, it least it wasn’t wide right. And my final thought that night was, Simply Put, it ain’t hard to be humble when you’re a Seminole.
From the front porch: Coach said freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.

No comments: